Slide Show: Heart-Rate-Based Training
This slide show is in PDF format. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view this slide show.
Adobe Acrobat Reader is a free program.
The PDF file size is 553 kilobytes.
Presenting the complete slide show will take about one hour.
You can view and print this version, but you cannot modify it.
The corresponding ABC article Heart-Rate-Based Training is included.
Read the information on the copyright page.
● The presentation reviews the usefulness of heart rate monitoring within the context of overall ride/race success and aerobic fitness.
● Many examples of heart rate recordings under difference circumstances are included.
● The usefulness of heart rate monitoring as a measure of aerobic work intensity is reviewed.
● The limitations of heart rate monitoring as a measure of work intensity are reviewed.
● The importance of determining individual maximum heart rate; the uselessness of formulae (e.g. 220 - age) is reviewed.
● The variability of heart rate related to factors such as fatigue and weather conditions is demonstrated.
Below is a sample slide from the show.
Click on the image to enlarge it.